Top events to celebrate Women’s History Month

Visit+the+%E2%80%9CWomen+of+Progress%3A+Early+Camera+Portraits%E2%80%9D+at+the+National+Portrait+Gallery+to+celebrate+Womens+History+Month.++
Visit the “Women of Progress: Early Camera Portraits” at the National Portrait Gallery to celebrate Women’s History Month.

Women’s History Month is an opportunity for people to celebrate and acknowledge the contributions and sacrifices women have made throughout history. And in D.C., there is no shortage of things to do.

Take advantage of the month at museum exhibitions, celebrations and trivia nights. There are dozens of events happening around D.C. to celebrate the month, but here are the top six events to mark on your calendar.

All month – ‘Women of Progress: Early Camera Portraits’ at the National Portrait Gallery

This exhibit features a dozen portraits of influential women from mid-nineteenth-century America, including figures like abolitionist Lucretia Mott and author Harriet Beecher Stowe. The portraits, which are on display until May 2020, depict individuals who served as early icons during a time when both portrait photography and the “presence of women in public life” became more common, according to the National Portrait Gallery website. Those featured include journalists, literature authors, abolitionists and women’s rights activists.

8th St. NW & F St. NW. Open from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day. Free.

Saturday, March 14 – Women’s History Celebration at DAR Constitution Hall

The Daughters of the American Revolution Museum is recognizing the work of women who have influenced American history at a daylong celebration later this month. The free party includes information sessions about heroines in history, along with interactive activities, crafts, music and games. Last year’s event recognized women’s achievements in art, science, women’s suffrage, exploration, espionage and history archival, according to the DAR website.

Located at 1776 D St. NW. Event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Free tickets here.

Tuesday, March 17 – Bread and Roses: ‘We Were There’ at Busboys and Poets

As part of a monthly series focused on workers’ rights and organized labor, Busboys and Poets is hosting a night of poetry readings that depict the struggles of women throughout history by the DC Labor Chorus. The night will highlight the lives of women like abolitionist Sojourner Truth and farm rights activist Dolores Huerta. The series also features discussions and film screenings about organized labor on the third Tuesday of every month, and food and drinks are available for purchase during each event.

235 Carroll St. NW. Event from 6 to 8 p.m. Register for free online.

Wednesday, March 25 – Lean In DC Presents: HERstory Trivia Night and Happy Hour at Femme Fatale DC

Lean In DC and Femme Fatale are teaming up for a professional women’s networking event to celebrate Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day. The event is an opportunity to learn more about women’s contributions to culture and society with fun facts and trivia, drinks and a chance to meet other female professionals in the DMV area.

Located at 401 Massachusetts Ave. NW. Event from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Register here.

Thursday, March 26 – Queer Women of Washington Awards by the Mayor’s Office of LGBTQ Affairs

Hosted by the Mayor’s Office of LGBTQ Affairs and the Washington Blade newspaper, this ceremony honors the achievements of queer women who are making contributions to the District community. You can nominate yourself or a friend for this year’s celebration here, to be featured in this month’s issue and attend an induction ceremony in late March. Last year’s honorees included professional athletes, musicians and company CEOs.

Eaton Hotel, 1201 K St. NW. Event from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. Free registration here.

Saturday, March 21 – Jane Austen Comedy Show at Solid State Books

Celebrate the famed female author of books like “Pride and Prejudice,” “Emma” and “Sense and Sensibility” at Solid State Books’ comedy show. The event aims to “poke fun and pay tribute” to author Jane Austen, according to the event’s page. Spend the evening watching stand-up comedy, laughing at comical PowerPoint presentations, playing games and drinking at an open bar.

Located at 600 H St. NE. 8 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased here.