Weekend Outlook – Celebrate the Botanic Garden’s 200th anniversary

Media Credit: Arielle Bader | Senior Photo Editor

Wish the U.S. Botanic Gardens a happy birthday at a day-long event Saturday.

Take a break from midterm cramming this weekend with a few events across the District. Celebrate the Hindu festival of Holi on Friday, then check out the Botanic Garden’s exhibit commemorating its 200th anniversary. Wrap it up celebrating women at the WoCo Festival.

Friday

Red Baraat’s Festival of Colors

Celebrate the ancient Hindu festival of Holi at The Hamilton with worldwide touring band Red Baraat’s “Festival of Colors.” The Brooklyn, New York-based group is known for blending heavy North Indian Bhangra dance genres like jazz, hip-hop and punk. The group will perform songs from its 2018 album, “Sound the People,” which is ranked in the top 10 on the World Music Chart Europe.

The Hamilton, 600 14th St. NW, 8 p.m., tickets range from $20-25.

Saturday

The U.S. Botanic Garden at 200: Deeply Rooted, Branching Outward

Spend your Saturday celebrating the U.S. Botanic Garden’s 200th anniversary at its new bicentennial exhibit. Located in the conservatory’s East and West Galleries, the exhibit features images of the garden over the years and allows visitors to explore how the garden has evolved through 3D images. You can also learn more about how the garden functions day-to-day at the exhibit.

U.S. Botanic Garden, 100 Maryland Ave. SW, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., free.

Sunday

WoCo Fest 2020

Begin Women’s History Month at the WoCo Festival held in the Big Bear Cafe and the All Souls Church. The day-long festival includes performances, panels and professional development booths held by local female leaders and artists around the District. The event lasts all day and into the evening, but you can opt to purchase an only day or nighttime ticket. If you stick around for the whole day, you can catch the leading act by Grammy-award winning Third Coast Percussion.

Big Bear Cafe, 1700 1st St. NW, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., tickets range from $10-25; All Souls Church, 1500 Harvard St. NW, 6:30 to 10 p.m., tickets range from $10-35.