GW Hospital awarded distinction for total hip, knee replacements

One of the largest U.S. health care associations recognized the GW Hospital for excellence in total knee and hip replacement procedures, hospital officials announced in a press release Tuesday.

CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield designated the hospital as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, signifying that the hospital expertly performs total hip and knee replacements and faces only minor complications and few hospital readmissions after surgeries, the release states. Kimberly Russo, the GW Hospital’s CEO and managing director, said in the release that the distinction represents the hospital’s commitment to “patient-centric” care in orthopedic surgery.

“We look forward to continuing to push the needle in the standard of care we provide and to continuing our efforts to offer patients the best quality and outcomes,” Russo said in the release.

Raj Rao, the chair of orthopedic surgery at GW Hospital, said in the release that hospital doctors are “constantly” developing methods to enhance patient care.

“Our multidisciplinary team is pleased to offer our patients a range of surgical and nonsurgical options for orthopedic issues so that they can get back to their loved ones and the activities they enjoy,” Rao said in the release.