Last-minute spring break destinations near D.C.

Kilgore+Falls+is+the+second+tallest+waterfall+in+Maryland+and+is+part+of+the+Rocks+State+Park.+
File photo by Arielle Bader | Senior Photo Editor
Kilgore Falls is the second tallest waterfall in Maryland and is part of the Rocks State Park.

It might be the middle of midterms, but spring break is on the horizon.

Some students might spend their week jet setting out of the country or back home. But if you’re still in the District and scrambling for activities to fill up the week, there are plenty of ways to take a vacation. Here are four vacation destinations in the DMV to make the most of your week off:

Old Town Alexandria

You would never know Old Town Alexandria is only a 15-minute car ride and 20-minute metro ride from Foggy Bottom with its historical landmarks and buzzing nightlife, making tourists feel as if they are far from the city.

You can first take a walk down King Street, considered one of the “Great Streets” of America for its character and things to do, and explore the row of boutiques, restaurants and the award-winning Port City Brewing Company. If you’re a history junkie and want to learn more about George Washington, head to his Mount Vernon home and look around his estate and surrounding gardens.

Other activities include Alexandria’s Nightly Spirits Ghost Tour and Pub Crawls and the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum, where you can find archived notebooks and relics from the past. Finish the night off on a sweet note at Old Town Dolci Gelati for its famous artisanal gelato or Nicecream, which features made-to-order, liquid nitrogen ice cream.

Kilgore and Gunpowder Falls

The second-tallest waterfall in Maryland, Kilgore Falls is part of the Rocks State Park of Pylesville, Maryland. Located less than an hour from Baltimore, the park offers three and a half miles of scenic hiking, picnic areas and the sight of 17-foot Kilgore Falls. Drive just a half-hour from the falls and tube, kayak and bike around the famous Gunpowder Falls. To get there, you can take the $7 MARC train from Union Station to Baltimore and rent a Zipcar once you’re in Baltimore to drive to the falls.

Virginia Beach

Hop on a four-hour-long bus ride to get a taste of sun at Virginia Beach. It may not be summer temperatures yet, but the weather is usually warm enough to spend time on the boardwalk’s beaches and tourist shops.

If you like unconventional adventures, try out the iFLY Virginia Beach Indoor Skydiving or rock climb and zipline at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center. Check out Wanderu for cheap bus tickets ranging from $30 to $60 round trip and split an Airbnb with your friends to make for an affordable spring break. Book a room a few blocks away from the beach to keep expenses low while still having easy access to the beach.

Charlottesville, Virginia

From historical sites to a growing arts scene, ​Charlottesville, Virginia, has something for just about everyone. The city is a two and a half-hour drive from the District, and you can purchase bus tickets for less than $30 for a round trip.

Music lovers can catch a concert at University of Virginia’s John Paul Jones Arena, which will host Dan + Shay and DaBaby on March 13 and 14, or check out the Southern Cafe and Music Hall for performances nearly every weekend.

Charlottesville’s historic downtown outdoor mall also hosts cinemas and musical theater performances along with more than 120 shops and 30 restaurants. If you’re looking to do something outdoors, end your trip with a hike on Carter Mountain Trail and watch the sunset at the Carter Mountain Orchard.