White House taps senior to vet presidential appointees

Senior James Bacon will serve as a senior aide in the White House office tasked with vetting presidential appointees, Politico reported Tuesday.

The White House hired Bacon to serve as the Office of Presidential Personnel’s director of operations but has not officially distributed an internal notice of his hiring, according to Politico. Bacon previously worked in the federal Department of Transportation and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, two White House officials told Politico.

“Presidential Personnel staff present candidates for PAS positions to the Senate for confirmation after they have been approved by the President and have gone through Personnel’s selection and clearance process,” the White House website states. “Additionally, the office is responsible for thousands of lower-level appointees.”

Bacon will replace Katja Bullock, a veteran staffer who served in the office during the Reagan administration and both Bush administrations, Politico reported. The move is one of several taken by the new director of the presidential personnel office, John McEntee, to purge disloyal members from White House positions, according to Politico.

Bacon was among McEntee’s subordinates on the Trump campaign and worked in operations on the transition team, Politico reported. He remains a senior because he took time off from school to work on the campaign, an official told Politico.

A White House spokesperson could not immediately be reached for comment.