Officials advance zero-waste efforts with upgraded trash, recycling bins

Officials+said+115+sets+of+trash+and+recycling+bins+were+installed+around+campus%2C+and+more+will+be+installed+throughout+March.+
Lillian Bautista | Contributing Photo Editor
Officials said 115 sets of trash and recycling bins were installed around campus, and more will be installed throughout March.

Officials installed new trash and recycling bins to reduce cross-contamination between waste receptacles and “enhance the campus identity.”

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said 115 sets of trash and recycling bins were installed around campus at the end of January, and new bins will be added through March on rooftops, interior courtyards and public areas. Nosal said the bins provide “easier” and “faster” access for those disposing trash compared to the old bins, which had handles that someone had to pull before throwing away trash or recycling.

“These are a newer, more identifiable model, which will enhance our sense of place and waste collection efforts,” she said.

Nosal said the new bins sport labels detailing which items should be deposited in which bin to ensure waste is placed in the correct receptacles. She added that a committee review constituted of “multiple vendors” selected the updated bin style.

She said officials are exploring options for the previously used bins to be kept in “operational shape” for other institutions to use. Nosal declined to comment on the cost of the new bins.

“While the University does not disclose costs for upgrades such as this effort, we can share that we anticipate the new bins will increase efficiencies given their design, which allows for an easier and faster side access,” she said.