Fundraising office lowers alumni donor goal amid nationwide decline in donations

The Division of Development and Alumni Relations has lowered their goal for alumni donors by nearly 10 percent this fiscal year.

Patricia Carocci, the associate vice president of development for alumni relations and annual giving, said the fundraising office is seeking to retain 63 percent of existing alumni donors and receive donations from 14,500 alumni in fiscal year 2020, which runs until June 30. Carocci said the fundraising office staff has progressed “more than halfway toward their goals” with 60 percent of the fiscal year expired.

“We are not behind, we are actually right where we need to be as we look to finish the year,” Carocci said. “We’re in great shape.”

The office sought to retain 64 percent of donors and attract 16,000 alumni donors in fiscal year 2019. Officials received contributions from more than 14,200 alumni donors during the year.

Carocci said the adjusted goals follow a nationwide decline in the number of donors to universities and an increase in the average size of donations. The University experienced its third-best fundraising year on record last fiscal year but notched the lowest alumni giving rate among its peer institutions for the second consecutive year in the 2018-19 academic year.

University President Thomas LeBlanc is traveling to 10 cities this spring to meet with alumni and increase community engagement. The trips come months after the launch of the new GW Alumni Association in May.

Officials plan to launch a new capital fundraising campaign in conjunction with GW’s bicentennial anniversary next year.