SEAS graduate student organization fund disburses almost $900 in first year

The engineering school’s career center created the fund about a year ago with financial support from the dean’s office.

A fund in the School of Engineering and Applied Science that helps graduate students cover the cost of professional organization membership fees gave out almost $900 this year.

Can Korman, the associate dean of research and graduate studies for SEAS, said the W. Scott Amey Career Services Center in SEAS established the fund about a year ago with financial support from the dean’s office to promote graduate student participation in professional engineering and technology groups. He said the fund, which contains about $1,500 this academic year, helps students afford access to resources they may otherwise not be able to afford.

“They are able to get access to some of the services and benefits that professional organizations offer, such as newsletters with the latest industry updates, databases and research articles, as well as online courses and tech talks,” he said. “One student recipient even reported attending a career fair and getting an on-the-spot interview!”

Korman added that during its first year, 11 students who met the eligibility criteria received a total of almost $900, with each individual grant varying in size by student.