Weekend Outlook – Support artists at Below Zero Arts Market

Sabrina Godin | Staff Photographer

Take advantage of D.C.’s art scene this weekend. Watch English choreographer Matthew Bourne’s acclaimed contemporary production of Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center, purchase some artisan crafts at the Below Zero Arts Market, and end your weekend at the Freer Gallery’s Lunar New Year celebration.

Friday

Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures: Swan Lake

Start your weekend off on the right foot by seeing Bourne’s Tony-winning contemporary production of Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center. Most well-known for its all-male cast, Bourne’s reimagined version of the classic ballet includes set design, costumes and lighting by acclaimed designers Lez Brotherston and Paule Constable. This performance is part of Bourne’s series, “New Adventures,” which recreates classic shows like The Nutcracker and Romeo and Juliet.

Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW, 1:30 and 7:30 p.m., tickets start at $29.

Saturday

Below Zero Arts Market

Score some stylish finds and room decor while supporting local artists at the Below Zero Arts Market in Dupont Underground, an abandoned underground streetcar station in Dupont Circle. With more than 50 vendors, the market’s offerings range from clothing to jewelry and other crafts.

Dupont Underground, 19 Dupont Circle NW, noon to 5 p.m., free.

Sunday

Lunar New Year at the Freer Gallery

Welcome in the Year of the Rat at the Lunar New Year celebration in the Freer and Arthur M. Sackler Galleries, where the Smithsonian keeps a collection of Asian art. Watch live performances of music and grab a bite to eat at the event to help ring in the new year. The main galleries of the museum will be open too, featuring a range of artwork from countries like China, Japan and India.

The Freer Gallery and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, 1050 Independence Ave. SW, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., free.