Associate volleyball coach to helm Rhode Island team

Volleyball’s associate coach will become the next head coach at Rhode Island, according to a release Thursday.

Nicki Holmes served in his position at GW for three years and coached the squad through two Atlantic 10 conference tournament appearances. This season, Holmes helped the Colonials to a No. 4 seeding in tournament play and a 15-14 record – the team’s highest since 2015.

“It’s bittersweet to leave such a wonderful place like GW because of the people,” Holmes said in the release. “These last few years here have been some of the best experiences in my coaching career, and I can’t thank Sarah [Bernson], Tanya [Vogel] and the student-athletes enough for being visible displays of excellence.”

Prior to coaching at GW, Holmes served as an assistant coach at NC State during the 2016-17 season. In 2014 and 2015, he helmed the volleyball program at North Carolina Central.

Holmes has also worked with Team USA since 2005 and most recently led the U-18 National Team to a FIVB World Championship in 2019 as an assistant coach. He was the program manager for the Collegiate National Team and has led tryout staff for the U.S. Women’s National Team Open Tryout since 2012.

Head coach Sarah Bernson, who hired Holmes onto her coaching staff when she joined the Colonials, said she looks forward to seeing him in conference play next season.

“I appreciate his commitment and contributions to GW these past three years,” Bernson said in a tweet. “We are better because you were here. Thank you & see you across the net!”