Student Bar Association discusses no new legislation at first meeting of spring semester

Alexander Welling | Assistant Photo Editor
At the Student Bar Association’s first meeting this semester, Executive Vice President Amanda Townsend said she selected Yun-Da Tsai to serve as the body’s president pro tempore.

The Student Bar Association did not take up any bills at its first meeting of the semester.

Members of the SBA instead provided updates on their work since their final meeting of the fall semester in November. Executive Vice President Amanda Townsend announced she selected Yun-Da Tsai as the president pro tempore, and other senators discussed the latest stages of planned changes to the SBA’s finance and audit policies.

SBA Sen. Jendaya Bell read a statement for SBA Sen. Jordan Jean, the chair of the finance committee. Bell said the members of the finance committee have submitted comments to Jean for use during his evaluation of the senate’s finance policies.

An independent commission formed from the finance committee was created after the senate’s last meeting of the semester to revamp the SBA’s finance policies. Bell said Jean is inviting all members of the senate to submit any requested revisions before he submits the updated policies to executive vice president Townsend to include in the SBA’s newsletter.

SBA Sen. Danielle Rodriguez, the chair of the audit committee, said she drafted an updated audit policy and plans to send the draft to the remainder of the audit committee for review. She said she will send the policy to Townsend, Vice President of Finance Aaron Parnas and President Damilola Arowolaju for comments.

Rodriguez kicked off the planned update to the SBA’s audit policy at the body’s October meeting, where she reported to the body that the SBA constitution gives the senate the power to audit but does not lay out specific conditions under which the power may be used.

She added that she will likely bring the policy before the full senate for consideration next month.