MPD, GWPD respond to stabbing near Western Presbyterian Church

File Photo by Lillian Bautista
Police respond to a report of a stabbing in this 2020 file photo.

Updated: Jan. 15, 2020 at 5:08 p.m.

At least six Metropolitan Police Department cars, one GW Police Department car and one U.S. Park Police car responded to a stabbing that occurred outside of Western Presbyterian Church Tuesday, an MPD spokesperson said.

MPD responded to a report of a stabbing at the 2400 block of Virginia Avenue at about 2:35 p.m., according to an MPD press release. Responding officers found an adult male suffering from multiple stab wounds, the press release states.

The stabbing victim was “unconscious” and “unresponsive” MPD spokeswoman Alaina Gertz said.

The press release states that D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene and transported the victim to a nearby hospital so he could be treated for life-threatening injuries.

An MPD report states that the suspect stabbed the victim multiple times using a “sharp object,” and the victim was transported to the GW Hospital, at which “all lifesaving attempts proved to be futile.” GW Hospital doctor Daniel King pronounced the victim dead at 11:19 p.m., according to the report.

MPD is withholding the decedent’s name until they can notify his family members, according to the press release.

MPD spokeswoman Karimah Bilal said the victim did not have a fixed address as of Tuesday night, but the assailant resides in Southeast D.C.

Officers arrested Joseph Melton, 51, for first degree murder while armed and assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to kill.

Zach Schonfeld contributed reporting.