SA Senate hears no legislation during first meeting of the semester

SA+Executive+Vice+President+Amy+Martin+talks+to+the+senate+during+its+first+meeting+of+the+semester.+Senators+passed+no+legislation+but+converted+several+seats+to+at-large+positions.+
Grace Hromin | Photographer
SA Executive Vice President Amy Martin talks to the senate during its first meeting of the semester. Senators passed no legislation but converted several seats to at-large positions.

The Student Association Senate debated no legislation during the first meeting of the semester Monday.

SA senators voted to convert one School of Business and one School of Medicine and Health Sciences graduate position to at-large seats. The SA Senate can vote to convert a vacant seat into an at-large position if no student from the specific constituent group applies for the position within 30 class days of the vacancy opening, according to the SA’s constitution.

Three first-year undergraduate and two first-year graduate seats were also converted to at-large positions. First-year senators are changed to at-large seats, which grants voting rights, after serving in the senate for one semester.

Senators also discussed disbanding the Infrastructure Committee, a special SA committee launched in September to fund campus improvement projects. Senators said the group never formally met to discuss projects, but the senate did not formally break up the committee.

Officials put $10 million toward upgrading several campus spaces, including installing new flooring in Mitchell Hall and Potomac House and revamping the Marvin Center terrace.