Phi Sigma Sigma withdrew from recruitment before bid day

Panhellenic+Association+recruitment+counselors+planned+a+meeting+in+the+Marvin+Center+Thursday+to+address+questions+about+the+chapters+removal.+
Panhellenic Association recruitment counselors planned a meeting in the Marvin Center Thursday to address questions about the chapter’s removal.

Phi Sigma Sigma pulled out of the recruitment process before bid day, according to an email obtained by The Hatchet.

Mackenzie Lipman, the area coordinator for fraternity and sorority life, sent an email Wednesday – the first day of recruitment – notifying recruitment counselors that the chapter had removed itself from the process, effective immediately. Panhellenic Association leaders planned a meeting in the Marvin Center Thursday to field questions about the change, the email states.

“Please know that the Fraternity and Sorority Life team and the Panhellenic Recruitment Team are doing everything they can to ensure a smooth transition,” Lipton wrote in the email.

A representative from Phi Sigma Sigma was expected to attend the meeting, according to the email.

Panhel President Sarah Sem and Phi Sigma Sigma President Aashka Varma did not return requests for comment.

The chapter’s removal comes on the heels of a racist incident last semester in which the former sorority president posted a racist Snapchat. Several members left the chapter after the post surfaced in September, and the University suspended Panhel social life for the semester so sororities could participate in diversity trainings.