Year in review: most memorable photos of 2019

Media Credit: Eric Lee | Staff Photographer

Ella Lusty, a student from the Edmund Burke School, leads a chant with her classmates during the Global Climate Strike in September.

Photos can show moments of triumph and defeat, excitement and disappointment – and 2019 was filled with every kind of occasion.

The Hatchet’s photo team sifted through some of the most memorable events of the year in photos. Here’s a glimpse at some of the highlights from 2019:

Sarah Urtz | Assistant Photo Editor

Cast members from “The Handmaid’s Tale,” an original series aired on Hulu, filmed an upcoming episode on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in February.

Justin Diamond, a former Student Association presidential candidate who ran a last-minute campaign to abolish the SA, reacts after learning the race would head to a runoff. SA President SJ Matthews won the election.

Faculty Senate members give former Provost Forrest Maltzman a standing ovation days after he announced his resignation in April.

Dean Whitelaw | Staff Photographer

Two Pride Parade attendees kiss in Dupont Circle.

Alexander Welling | Assistant Photo Editor

The exhibit Send Silence Packing is set up in University Yard. The campaign has traveled the country to help end silence around suicide and mental health.

Dean Whitelaw | Staff Photographer

An investigation into Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans revealed he violated the D.C. Council’s ethics code 11 times since 2014. The Council most recently voted to recommend expelling him from the body.

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor

Men’s basketball head coach Jamion Christian took the helm for his first season this fall. He was named the head of the program after Maurice Joseph was fired earlier this year.

Eric Lee | Staff Photographer

A protestor holds up a sign during the second Global Climate Strike in September.

Zach Brien | Photographer

Protestors block off the road with a boat during the shut-down D.C. protest in September. The protest took place days after activists took the streets to march for climate justice.

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor

Dozens of students waited outside Lisner Auditorium for hours to snag free tickets to a Kanye West performance later in the day.

Jack Borowiak | Staff Photographer

A Nationals fan celebrates the team’s World Series victory in October. Before the win, D.C. hadn’t seen a World Series game since 1933.

Sarah Urtz | Assistant Photo Editor

Freshman Runjni Shastri joined a swarm of counter-protesters after pro-life advocates filled Kogan Plaza with signs.