Weekend Outlook – Phase out the holiday season at the National Cathedral

Keep the holiday magic alive with seasonal melodies brought to you by soprano soloist Crossley Hawn and a full orchestra at the Washington National Cathedral’s Holiday Light Spectacular.

The year is coming to a close, and the District is bustling with events to ring in the New Year. Before the ball drops next week, make the most of your final weekend of 2019 with jazz music, an orchestra of sounds and one last stop at the Newseum.

Friday

Jazz Pizza Night with ICOduo

Wind down from holiday festivities with some jazz music and pizza at A Baked Joint in Mount Vernon Square. The bakery and coffee shop is hosting ICOduo, which includes percussionist Joey Antico and pianist Ellington Carthan, who will perform jazz harmonics with the moving rhythm of drums and piano acoustics. The event is free and open to the public.

A Baked Joint, 430 K St. NW, 7:30 to 10 p.m., free.

Saturday

Holiday Light Spectacular

Keep the holiday magic alive Saturday with seasonal melodies brought to you by soprano soloist Crossley Hawn and a full orchestra at the Washington National Cathedral’s Holiday Light Spectacular. The cathedral will be decked out in snowflakes and other wintery decorations while you take in the sounds of the season, followed by a screening of the 1982 animated film, “The Snowman.” Three of its performances this weekend have already sold out, so buy your tickets quickly.

Washington National Cathedral, 3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW, showtimes at 4:30, 6:30 and 8:30 p.m., $40.

Sunday

Newseum closing weekend

Help the Newseum celebrate its 11 years of highlighting the freedom of the press before it closes Tuesday. After the Newseum closes, Johns Hopkins University will take over the 555 Pennsylvania Ave. location and use the site to house some of its graduate programs. The museum is allowing visitors to purchase tickets in advance online, and you can get a 15 percent discount with code 15OFF.

Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., $24.95.