Athletic department introduces one-credit study abroad program in Vietnam

Athletic director Tanya Vogel announced at a Faculty Senate meeting last week that the department now offers student-athletes a one-credit course in Vietnam.

Student-athletes can now enroll in a short-term study abroad program beginning in the spring, according to a release.

Athletic director Tanya Vogel announced at a Faculty Senate meeting last week that the department offers student-athletes a one-credit course for 10 days in Vietnam in the spring and summer semesters. Students will learn about topics relating to sociology and Vietnamese culture in the course, which Vogel said was approved last academic year.

“Student-athletes will immerse themselves in Vietnamese culture over a short period and explore five themes – politics, religion, race, gender and globalization,” the release states.

Potential requirements for the program could include assigned readings on the role of sports in social change, written reflections, blog posts, an oral presentation and an argumentative essay on society’s view of Vietnamese culture, according to the release.

Vogel said during the Faculty Senate meeting that studying abroad is difficult for student-athletes who commit to competition and training during fall and spring semesters. Student-athletes also lose their athletic scholarship during semesters abroad, she said.

The program costs about $5,000 per student-athlete to cover the flight and tuition. Athletic department officials are seeking donors to help pay for student-athletes on an athletic scholarship who want to study abroad, Vogel said.

She said 15 students have expressed interest in participating in the program so far.

Among schools in the Atlantic 10, Duquesne, Saint Louis and Richmond have specific study abroad programs for student-athletes.