Men’s rowing head coach resigns

Men’s rowing head coach Mark Davis will resign effective January 2020, according to a release Tuesday.

After spending a decade with the program, Davis will leave GW to work with the Sammamish Rowing Association – an organization in Redmond, Wash. that provides instruction to rowers of different skill levels – the release states. The search for a new head coach will begin “immediately,” according to the release.

“Since taking the reigns of the program in 2009, Mark has guided GW men’s rowing to be among the top programs in the country,” athletic director Tanya Vogel said in the release. “We’re grateful to Mark for coaching our student-athletes to such an elite level in a historic sport.”

Davis joined the program in 2009 and led the Varsity 8 boat to a program-best No. 13 finish at the 2018-19 Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championships.

The team skipped fall competition for the first time since 2013 this year to save money for a trip to England for the Henley Royal Regatta next spring. The squad’s fall slate included one scrimmage at Yale Nov. 2.

GW is slated to return to practice Jan. 3 for a week-long winter training trip in Deland, Fla. Competition begins April 4 as the Colonials face off with Harvard and Cornell in Boston.