Madison Square Garden hires former GWPD chief months after quiet departure

Darrell+Darnell%2C+the+senior+associate+vice+president+for+safety+and+security%2C+said+the+increase+in+reports+of+sexual+violence+on+campus+can+be+attributed+to+students+feeling+more+comfortable+reporting+incidents.+
Darrell Darnell, the senior associate vice president for safety and security, said the increase in reports of sexual violence on campus can be attributed to students feeling more comfortable reporting incidents.

The former head of the GW Police Department has managed security at Madison Square Garden and other venues for at least a month.

Darrell Darnell, who served as the senior associate vice president for safety and security until he quietly left his post in March, was hired as The Madison Square Garden Company’s vice president for venue security and threat management in October, according to his LinkedIn profile. He is responsible for enforcing security protocols at each of the company’s six venues, according to a previous job posting.

“The vice president venue security will oversee and manage the day-to-day operation of the venue security program,” the posting stated.

The Madison Square Garden Company owns the Hulu Theater, Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden and the Beacon Theatre, located in New York City; the Forum, located near Los Angeles; and The Chicago Theatre, according to the company’s website. The company is planning to add two additional locations in Las Vegas and London, its website states.

Darnell exited GW in March, but officials would not elaborate on the circumstances surrounding his departure. Darnell left the University in May, according to his LinkedIn profile, and officials hired alumnus Scott Burnotes in June as the associate vice president of safety and security.