GW-inspired gag gifts to add some laughter to your holiday giving

Treat+friends+to+a+gift+and+a+good+laugh+with+these+unexpected+presents.+
Photo Illustration by Ian Saville | Photographer
Treat friends to a gift and a good laugh with these unexpected presents.

The holiday season is the best time for gift-giving. But presents don’t always need to be serious or expensive.

Read up on some D.C.- and GW-inspired gag gifts that will add some lightheartedness to the usual pressure for holiday perfection.

Carvings gift card

For a gift that will win the hearts of freshmen, a Carvings gift card is the move. Your friend can purchase sodas, sandwiches, greasy foods and other Carvings treasures. It may even prevent a friend from depleting their GWorld too soon.

Washington D.C. sweatshirt

Students live their scholarly lives and maybe forget that they study in one of the world’s most powerful locations, so gift a classic D.C. souvenir to your pals. They can be found at any D.C. tourist stop like Washington Welcome Center. The classic “Washington, D.C.” text in bubbly letters will make your friend look like they’re on an eighth-grade field trip to the District, so your friend can assimilate with the tourist crowds.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts

All around campus, like outside of the Foggy Bottom Metro stop or in the Shenkman Hall basement, you can find student organizations selling Krispy Kreme donuts to students and passersby. Be charitable and give your friend a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts for the holidays – they’ll appreciate your generosity to the student group.

GW tissue pack

As temperatures dwindle and flu symptoms descend upon campus, be a good friend and keep your friends stocked up on necessities. GW’s tissue pack, sold at the bookstore, is an irresistible gift this season that will keep sinuses clean for exam season and maintain GW pride. Best of all, the gift is only $2.50, so you won’t have to drain your wallet to give your friend a practical present.

Colonial socks

Give your friends a gift that will spark some additional controversy to the ongoing Colonials moniker name change discussion. The Colonials socks, also sold at the bookstore, are peak fashion and will help show off your friend’s calves while keeping them warm as the temperatures cool.