Gift guide for every night of Hanukkah

From+journals+to+Hanukkah-themed+socks%2C+purchase+these+gifts+for+your+loved+ones+for+all+eight+nights.+
Photo Illustration by Jack Fonseca | Assistant Photo Editor
From journals to Hanukkah-themed socks, purchase these gifts for your loved ones for all eight nights.

Finding the right gifts may seem like a challenge, but even the smallest gestures can mean the world to someone else.

Hanukkah begins on Dec. 22 and ends on the evening of Dec. 30, so take the opportunity to give a small gift to a friend to celebrate each of the eight nights. Whether you recognize the holiday or have a friend who does, here is a rundown of gifts you could purchase for your friend or family member for each night of Hanukkah:

First night: Framed photo

Start off the festivities with something sentimental. You can’t go wrong with a framed photo of you and the gift recipient. Choose your favorite photo of the two of you and print it at CVS. Then, head to Plaza Artist Materials & Picture Framing, located only a few blocks north of campus, to pick out a frame.

Plaza Artist Materials & Picture Framing, 1120 19th St. NW. 

Second night: House plant

A simple house plant may seem boring, but a little green friend can brighten up any space in a second. Opt for a mini succulent or cactus for a desk or bedside table. Or, you can pick out something larger with more foliage like a heartleaf philodendron plant or a pink quill plant for the centerpiece of a kitchen table.

Little Leaf, 1401 S St. NW.

Third night: Hanukkah homesick candle

The smell of a candle instantly brings with it a memory. Continue to remember what Hanukkah means to you throughout the year by lighting your own candle or by giving it to someone else. This Hanukkah candle, which smells like potato latkes topped with applesauce, will bring joy to your friend or family member all year round.

Available online for $29.95.

Fourth night: Hanukkah socks

Ensure those around you won’t forget about this year’s Hanukkah celebration by giving them Hanukkah socks to wear throughout the holiday season. This goofy gift will make your families laugh at Jewish puns like “challah back girl” written across the socks.

Available for $18.70 at hotsox.com.

Fifth night: Polaroid camera

Capture special moments with friends and family throughout Hanukkah and the days to come with polaroid pictures. The small camera is easy to carry around no matter where you go. If you want to accessorize your Hanukkah-themed photo shoot, pick up some blue and white boas and dreidel head boppers.

Available online for $59.95.

Sixth night: Something sweet

You can never go wrong with food. Sufganiyah is a deep-fried donut, filled with jam or custard and topped with powdered sugar. This sweet treat is traditionally eaten during Hanukkah in Israel. A Hanukkah-themed advent calendar filled with candy will also satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth over the eight nights of this holiday.

Advent Calendar available online for $21.95.

Seventh night: Donate to a charity in their name

In the spirit of giving to others, make a donation in somebody else’s name to a local charity. Organizations in the D.C. area like Miriam’s Kitchen or Habitat for Humanity help provide meals and shelter for people experiencing homelessness. Volunteers are also needed at these locations, so spend a day giving back to the D.C. community in your friend’s name.

Eighth night: Journals

On the last night of Hanukkah, give out journals to your friends and family members so everyone can reflect on their memories from the previous seven evenings. Time spent during the holidays with friends and family members should be documented and treasured in writing so you can look back for years to come.

Available at Amazon Books at 3040 M St. NW., $11.69.