Crime log: Student attempts suicide in Madison Hall

Threats to do Bodily Harm

District House
Multiple – Multiple
Open Case

A female student reported to the GW Police Department that she received direct threats from a male student.

– Case open.

Theft II/From Building

Gelman Library
11/16/2019 – 1:10 a.m.
Closed Case

A female student reported that someone stole her two bags of clothes from a study room after she left them unattended. After GWPD officers identified the male student who took the bags, he returned the stolen property.

– Referred to the Division of Student Affairs.

Theft II/From Building

Elliott School of International Affairs
11/16/2019 – 10 p.m.
Open Case

A female student reported to GWPD that someone stole her wallet.

– Case open.

Unlawful Entry

Science and Engineering Hall
11/17/2019 – 8:14 p.m.
Closed Case

A male student observed a previously barred male subject enter and exit the building. Officers canvassed the area but didn’t find the barred man.

– No further action.

Unlawful Entry

Marvin Center
11/20/2019 – 2:53 a.m.
Closed Case

GWPD responded to a report that a suspicious person was sleeping in the Marvin Center. GWPD officers who arrived on the scene discovered that the subject was a previously barred woman. The officers issued the woman an updated bar notice and escorted her out of the building.

– Subject barred.

Public Drunkenness

Public Property on Campus (2100 block of I Street)
11/20/2019 – 9:37 p.m.
Closed Case

GWPD officers responded to the 2100 block of I Street for a report that a female unaffiliated with GW was intoxicated on campus. EMeRG transported the woman to the GW Hospital for medical assistance.

– No further action.

Theft II/From Building

Shenkman Hall
11/20/2019 – 11:18 p.m.
Closed Case

GWPD officers responded to the Gourmet Market in Shenkman Hall for a report that a male student stole one Diet Coke and two packs of fruit gushers. Officers found the student in his room, and he agreed to pay for the merchandise.

– Referred to DSA.

Simple Assault (Domestic Violence), Liquor Law Violation, Drug Law Violation

Madison Hall
11/21/2019 – 1:10 a.m.
Closed Case

GWPD and Metropolitan Police Department officers responded to a report that a female student attempted to commit suicide after hitting her female roommate. The student admitted to consuming a variety of drugs and alcohol, GWPD officers said. The student suffered a panic attack and consumed an “unknown amount of anti-depressant medicine,” according to an MPD report. EMeRG transported her to the GW Hospital for further medical assessment.

– Referred to DSA.

– Compiled by Kateryna Stepanenko.

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (en Español: 1-888-628-9454; deaf or hard of hearing: 1-800-799-4889).