Search begins for next director of the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design

Officials+hope+the+next+director+of+the+Corcoran+School+of+Arts+and+Design+can+start+as+soon+as+next+fall.+
Sabrina Godin | Photographer
Officials hope the next director of the Corcoran School of Arts and Design can start as soon as next fall.

The search for the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design’s next permanent director is underway.

A job posting for the position appeared on the school’s website late last month that states officials are looking for someone to lead “the overall implementation of the mission and day-to-day operations” of the arts school. The new director can begin as early as next fall, according to the posting.

“They support the mission and vision of the Corcoran School as well as its integration within the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the George Washington University, the Washington D.C. community and the art and design fields at large,” the posting states about the director position.

Candidates should have a “record of scholarship, research and/or artistic achievement” in a related field, at least five years of teaching experience at a university and at least five years of administrative or managerial experience with an arts, design or academic institution, according to the posting. Officials will begin reviewing applications in mid-December and continue reviewing applications until they select a candidate, the posting states.

Among the director’s responsibilities will be to provide “academic and artistic” leadership to members of the school, to work to expand the diversity of the school’s students and faculty through recruitment and to develop fundraising strategies for the school, the posting states.

Former Corcoran director Sanjit Sethi announced in April that he would step down from his position in July to become president of the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. Kym Rice, who previously served as Corcoran’s assistant director of academic affairs, has served as interim director since Sethi’s departure.

Rice said in August that she wants to work to improve a sense of community for Corcoran students and integrate the school further into the GW community. The school has struggled with enrollment issues partly resulting from high costs of attendance compared to other arts schools and ongoing facilities issues and construction projects.