Students join hundreds to defend DACA at Supreme Court rally

Sophia Moten | Photographer
Students said they hoped the protest will encourage the Supreme Court to vote to continue DACA’s protections.

Updated: Nov. 12, 2019 at 12:20 p.m.

Protesters defended a policy granting children of undocumented immigrants deferred action from deportation in front of the Supreme Court Friday.

A crowd of about 200 students – about 70 of them from GW – organized a walk-out Friday and gathered at the Supreme Court to rally support for undocumented recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, the constitutionality of which will be hotly debated at oral arguments before the highest federal court Tuesday. Students said they hoped the protest will encourage justices to vote to continue DACA’s protections.

Under the program, undocumented immigrants are eligible for deferred action on deportation and authorized to work in the United States if they are under 31 years old as of June 15, 2012, came to the United States under the age of 16 and have continuously resided in the United States from June 15, 2007 to the present. The program has been the subject of a prolonged legal battle since President Donald Trump moved to terminate the program two years ago.

Alejandra Varela, a freshman majoring in political science, said DACA and immigrants’ rights are personal issues to her because she knows people who will be deeply affected by the outcome of the case. She said she turned out to the protest because she believes everyone has a right to access educational opportunities regardless of their legal status in the country.

“To have the privilege of just being born here is huge,” Varela said. “So, for me, to be here showing my support and being that voice for them and also supporting them in any way that I can is why I’m doing this – for them.”

Students gathered in Kogan Plaza at 10:30 a.m. before meeting with students from other universities in the area, high school students and local activists. Student speakers spoke in front of the U.S. Capitol building before proceeding toward the Supreme Court at the event, which was supported by United We Dream, a youth-led community organization dedicated to running campaigns in support of immigrant rights.

Senior Rebecca Lewis, an international affairs major, said she became involved in United We Dream after a DACA protest two years ago. She said she helped organize the walk-out to show solidarity and support for the undocumented immigrant community.

“I think one of my guiding principles is the belief that we need to fight for the liberation of all people,” Lewis said. “And that means coming out and showing up for our undocumented brothers and sisters in a time where they need our support.”

Fryda Cortes, a freshman majoring in biology, was among the students who spoke at the protest. Cortes is a documented immigrant and said the value allies bring to this policy sphere cannot be understated.

“We have to use our privilege to make a stance,” Cortes said. “I have to use my voice to elevate their voice and support them.”

Freshman Jose Casillas, a business major, said he hopes that by coming out to rally in favor of DACA, others will feel empowered to show their support for immigrants.

“It starts with one person and then leads off to this,” he said. “So for those who couldn’t make it today, they’re going to see it online, they’re going to read about it and they’re going to feel the power through there, and change is going to happen.”

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported Jose Casillas’ name. It is now correct. We regret this error.