Weekend Outlook – Ring in the holiday season at Czech Christmas Market

Sabrina Godin | Photographer
You can listen to Czech Christmas carols and watch a Nativity scene with live animals at the Embassy of the Czech Republic Saturday.

Excite your taste buds this weekend with Eritrean and Persian cuisine, then continue your international food tour at the Czech Christmas Market. Complete your weekend at the National Veterans Day Concert to honor those who have served in the military and their families.

Friday

Food History Weekend

Work up an appetite on Friday to attend the Smithsonian Food History Weekend at the National Museum of American History. Although tickets for “In the Kitchen with Chef Jacques Pépin” are waitlisted, you can try a bite of Eritrean and Persian cuisine prepared by migrant and refugee women strengthening their communities with their culinary skills. Seating is first come, first served so check the schedule and get there early.

The National Museum of American History, 1300 Constitution Ave. NW, “Eritrean Food En Route” noon to 12:30 p.m., “Persian Cuisine in the U.S.” 3 to 3:30 p.m., Free.

Saturday

Czech Christmas Market at the Embassy of the Czech Republic

Immerse yourself in Czech culture and ring in the Christmas season with food and drink at the Czech Christmas Market at the Embassy of the Czech Republic. Several vendors will sell everything from traditional Prague chocolate to handcrafted ornaments. There will be performances of Czech Christmas carols and a Nativity scene with live animals.

Embassy of the Czech Republic, 3900 Spring of Freedom St. NW, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Free.

Sunday

National Veterans Day Concert

Enjoy the music of the United States Marine Orchestra and the Washington National Cathedral Choir to honor the service of our nation’s veterans. Join in with others in acknowledging the strength and achievement of veterans in our community with these talented musicians. This event will take place at 7 p.m., hosted by the Washington National Cathedral with the support of the AMVETS National Headquarters.

Washington National Cathedral, 3101 Wisconsin Ave. NW, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Free