Dish of the week: Piccolina da Centrolina’s egg and cheese on brioche

The bacon and egg brioche at Piccolina da Centrolina can be a fancier version of an everyday egg and cheese breakfast sandwich.

Piccolina da Centrolina is a trendy Italian eatery in downtown D.C. with a menu full of bread, pastries, meats and cheeses.

The joint’s location inside CityCenterDC at 963 Palmer Alley NW positions it in one of D.C.’s newest and most stylish areas of downtown D.C. Piccolina da Centrolina lives up to the trendy hotspot with modern decorations and tables, matched with a delicious selection of Italian bites.

The restaurant can seat about 25 customers at red and orange booths or at one of the eight rose gold-colored bar stools that line the U-shaped countertop. If the place fills up, you can sit at an outdoor seating area or stand and enjoy an on-the-go bite. The alleyway outside of the restaurant is seasonally decorated with picturesque decor of fall leaves.

Within the shopping area, Piccolina da Centrolina is an ideal place to pick up a delicious breakfast like I did. The breakfast menu is available from 7:30 to 11 a.m., and the restaurant serves a combined lunch and dinner menu from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Menu offerings include typical Italian dishes and a la carte items like hand spun mozzarella ($8) or pumpkin panzanella ($9). Vegan options are slim here, but vegetarians and meat-eaters could opt for a Ratatouille omelet ($11) or a sunny side egg with avocado ($9). For lunch or dinner, options include dishes like caprese, lamb sausage ($13) and spinach lasagne ($14.50).

All of the dishes are curated by award-winning local chef Amy Brandwein, who was chosen as the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington’s RAMMY award for Chef of the Year in 2018. Her flagship restaurant, Centrolina, is located directly across the street from Piccolina da Centrolina.

Looking for a more upscale version of my typical egg and cheese breakfast, I chose the egg and cheese on brioche and added sausage for an extra $2.

At first glance, this dish resembles a high-end cheeseburger, especially because of the sausage. This egg sandwich was presented with the egg and cheese delicately placed between the round, golden brioche bun. The restaurant uses a wood fire stove to cook its food, which was evident in the taste of the sausage.

The brioche bun was the best ingredient of the dish. It was tender, soft and warm. Between the buns, the eggs were also skillfully scrambled and freshly placed into the sandwich, along with a slice of cheese.

The eatery’s drink list includes choices like Italian soda ($4), an aperol spritz ($11) and a selection of wines ($10). Other Italian delicacies offered include different types of salami, cheese and a whole selection of Italian pastries can be purchased individually like cannolis ($3) and tiramisu ($4.50).

It is a good spot for a quick grab-and-go, or you can eat at one of the seating areas inside or outside. If you were looking for a formal restaurant and potential date spot, Centrolina across the street might be better.

This meal was not necessarily cheap, but it was better than the eggs I unskillfully cook on my stove for breakfast. For a nice dish in the morning, especially before spending hours shopping and exploring nearby, check out this eatery for a rest stop.