Weekend Outlook – Celebrate Día de Muertos at the National Portrait Gallery

Sones de Mexico and Maru Montero Dance Company will perform in honor of Día de Los Muertos in the Kogod Courtyard in the National Portrait Gallery.

Start your November strong with free events around D.C. Get in the holiday spirit with an outdoor film screening of a Christmas movie at the Kennedy Center, experience a Día de los Muertos performance at the National Portrait Gallery and round out your weekend with a trip to a death-themed art exhibit.

Friday

Hall-O-Screen Party: ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’

Head to the REACH section of the Kennedy Center to catch a screening of “The Nightmare Before Christmas” projected on the outside of the building. Arrive a little early to join in on a Halloween-themed dance party featuring fan-favorites like “Monster Mash” and “Time Warp.” You can also grab a bite to eat at one of the event’s participating food trucks.

The REACH at the Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. Dance party from 6 to 7 p.m. Film Screening at 7:30 p.m. Free.

Saturday

Día de los Muertos with Maru Montero Dance Company

Take part in Día de los Muertos festivities at the National Portrait Gallery for a live performance from Sones de Mexico and Maru Montero Dance Company. Set up in the beautiful Kogod Courtyard, the event will feature live music, traditional folk dancing, art workshops and artist demonstrations. The event is free and open to the public.

National Portrait Gallery, Eighth and F streets NW, 5 to 8:30 p.m. Free.

Sunday

Community day at the National Museum of Women in the Arts

Finish off your weekend with some artistic exploration at the National Museum of Women in the Arts. This month’s free community day includes the eerie works of Judy Chicago, a feminist artist who contemplates the meaning of death in her showcase “The End: A Meditation on Death and Extinction.” The museum will display many other series, including “Live Dangerously,” “Women Artists of the Dutch Golden Age” and “Bestabeé Romero: Signals of a Long Road Together.”

National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. NW, noon to 5 p.m. Free.