MPD, FEMS respond to report of man ‘dangling’ feet off top of L Street construction site

Metropolitan+Police+Department+units+respond+to+a+call+on+L+Street.+
Eric Lee| Staff Photographer
Metropolitan Police Department units respond to a call on L Street.

Multiple police cars, firetrucks and ambulances responded to multiple blocks of L Street Thursday after a man possibly holding a weapon sat on the edge of the roof of a construction site.

Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Alaina Gertz said the department received a call at about 8:33 a.m. that an adult male potentially armed with a knife was “dangling his feet” over the edge of a building under construction on the 2100 block of L Street.

A tweet from the D.C. Police Department sent at about 9:27 a.m. stated that the subject is in custody and no injuries have been reported.

Second District Captain Kelvin Cusick sent an email to residents at about 8:45 a.m. that MPD was conducting a police investigation on the 2100 block of L Street.

“There is a mental health consumer in crisis at this location,” the email states. “There is no threat to the community at this time, and there are no injuries reported.”

A second email sent from Cusick at about 10:02 a.m. stated that the police activity was “peacefully resolved,” and all vehicle and pedestrian traffic had reopened.

A GW Alert sent at about 9 a.m. reported that MPD was working on an “isolated incident” and that traffic and access to 2033 K St. – where the Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship is located – was “impacted.” 

The alert advised employees who work in the building to contact their supervisors for instructions about any possible alternative work locations and said to “avoid the area.”

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal and D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Vito Maggiolo referred to MPD for comment.

Zach Schonfeld contributed reporting.