Weekend Outlook – Watch ‘Hocus Pocus’ at the American history museum

Rest and recharge over fall break with Halloween-themed events around the District. Face your fears on a haunted hayride, watch “Hocus Pocus” on the Smithsonian’s big screen, stroll through an orchard or listen to an inspirational speaker at Busboys and Poets.

Friday

Screamland Farms

In the spirit of Halloween, take a haunted hayride and run through the Barn of Bedlam at Crumland Farms. A one-hour car ride away from campus, Crumland transforms into a haunted farm so guests can experience spooky season at its finest. After taking a ride through a corn maze or making your way through the haunted barn of Bedlam – a rendition of a haunted house – challenge yourself to “Escape the Woodshed.” Participants are given three minutes to sift through clues and haunted messages scattered throughout the rooms and get out alive.

Crumland Farms, 7612 Willow Road, Frederick, Md., noon to 5 p.m. Ticket prices vary from $15 for a single attraction to $70 for an all-inclusive pass.

Saturday

‘Hocus Pocus’ screening

The Halloween classic “Hocus Pocus” will play at the Warner Bros. Theater in the National Museum of American History Saturday. Starting at 12:25 p.m., the witches of Salem, Mass., will take the big screen. A costume party with drinks, music and giveaways will take place following the showing from 6:30 to 8 p.m.

Warner Bros. Theater, National Museum of American History, 1300 Constitution Ave. NW, 12:25 to 8 p.m. Tickets are $10.

Sunday

American Scream Selfie Museum

The American Scream Selfie Museum in Tysons, Va. props up exhibits of ghouls and goblins every fall. The displayed Halloween characters are placed in selfie-worthy sets to enhance your Instagram Halloween photos. Interaction is a key part of this event, and you can take part in a witch hunt and stand face to face with mummies. On Sunday, the museum offers students discounted tickets.

American Scream Selfie Museum, 7952 Tysons Corner Center, Tysons, Va., 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Discount student tickets are $15.

Monday

Visit Butler’s Orchard

Take advantage of your extra free time over fall break by visiting the sunflowers and pumpkin patches at Butler’s Orchard, a 40-minute drive from campus. Straw mazes, hayrides and country food can be found all in one spot for families and friends to enjoy. Butler’s Orchard began on 37 acres and has grown to cover more than 300 acres and includes 25 different fruits, vegetables, flowers and trees. The orchard’s farmers market uses its own apples to make apple cider, pies and sweet treats.

Butler’s Orchard, 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, Md. Day passes are $3.

Tuesday

Busboys and Poets open mic

Sit back and eat food at Busboys and Poets while listening to inspiring words from Grammy-nominated songstress Carolyn Malachi. Malachi will host the open mic night where anyone can get up and perform. The celebrity has spent her life expressing the importance of music across the globe and focuses on how education and technology can be used to better the world. A contributor to the Black Enterprise Magazine and Sophisticate’s Black Hair Magazine, Malachi advocates for equal access in education in her music, writing and social media. 

Busboys and Poets, 2004 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE, 8 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $5.