GW Fashion Club teams up with HBO to host fashion show

Camille Desanto | Photographer

The GW Fashion Club is teaming up with HBO later this month to host a fashion show highlighting the styles of one of the network’s TV show.

HBO campus ambassadors are working with the student organization to debut a fashion show on Oct. 28 in the Elliott School of International Affairs’ City View Room that shows off variations of the clothing worn by characters on the HBO show “Euphoria.” GW Fashion Club leaders said they will sell the materials used to curate “Euphoria’s” wardrobe, which is typically vintage and thrifty, during a flea market the day after the event.

“Euphoria” premiered in June, illustrating the lives of teenagers as they navigate friendships, drugs, love and trauma. Borrowing skirts, pants and jackets from vintage fashion, the styles of “Euphoria” integrate bright colors and glitter.

The show features actress Zendaya, who plays the character Rue, and LGBTQ rights activist and actress Hunter Schafer, who plays the character Jules.

GW Fashion Club President Andrew Evans said members of the group will put their own spin on the “Euphoria” characters’ looks. While the fashion show will feature clothes inspired by characters’ outfits, members of the student organization will design the outfits using items from thrift stores.

The student organization formed in fall 2018, kicking off its events with flea markets across campus to generate sales for thrift stores, Evans said.

“It’s mainly going to focus on some of the looks from the characters – obviously, we’re not going to take the looks verbatim,” Evans said. “We’re taking the looks and putting our own spin on them.”

Evans said before the show, audience members can take polaroid photos, get their makeup done at makeup stations and snack on small bites. Evans said he wants attendees to interact with the fashion presented at the show instead of only watching people walk down a runway.

He added that members of the group will host a “small reception” after the event ends to allow audience members to mingle and debrief.

“We’re trying to get the decor, food, mocktails, some sort of photo aspect so people can feel engaged,” Evans said. “People will start filtering in, we’ll give things to them to keep them waiting and satisfied before the show.”

Evans said the student organization is looking for students to model the outfits. Members of the group posted a model form on their Instagram and hosted in-person model auditions open to any student over the past two weeks. Auditions were moderated by Evans and GW Fashion Club Vice President and Financial Officer Sarah Choe.

HBO hires on-campus ambassadors to promote some shows through college events, Evans said. GW Fashion Club members are working one-on-one with HBO campus ambassadors to promote the costume designs that “Euphoria” costume designer Heidi Bivens created for the show.

Members of the group purchased the clothes for the show from local and online thrift stores, members said. Compared with organizing and promoting the fashion show, Evans said finding items that match the outfits worn by “Euphoria” characters was “a learning process.”

“It’s a one-on-one thing,” Evans said. “For example, we have to buy clothes particularly for the models. So, there’s a little bit more that comes with it, and that’s a little more than we thought.”

Evans said GW Fashion Club will host a sales rack on Oct. 29 – the day after the fashion show – in Kogan Plaza with a look for each character’s style, like Zendaya’s character Rue’s grunge style. The rack will be part of a semesterly-held flea market open to all GW students after the show that includes the outfits modeled at the show.

Choe, the student organization’s financial officer, said HBO’s partnership with GW Fashion Club helps the student organization receive more publicity on and off campus. The HBO Campus Brand ambassadors, Felicity Zhang and Kendall Carter, are helping organize the logistics for the day of the show and will provide some HBO merchandise for the show, Choe said.

“It’s easy to collaborate with them and ideas flow freely,” Choe said. “Both of us thought the style fit with the show best.”

Zhang said HBO is contributing to the decoration, food and drinks for the fashion show. She said she reached out to GW Fashion club because she thought they would be a “good creative club to collaborate on HBO’s new show Euphoria.”

“At first we didn’t know if we wanted a fashion show or pop up event, but as we kept collaborating we saw the opportunity of the Euphoria fashion show in the Elliot city view room come up,” Zhang said.