Impeachment-themed drinks to help kick back from the chaos

Sarah Urtz | Assistant Photo Editor
The Quadrant at the Ritz-Carlton offers some every former U.S. president’s favorite cocktail.

As a whistleblower complaint sets off calls for President Donald Trump’s impeachment on Capitol Hill, take a break from the chaos with a drink.

Several District bars are serving up impeachment-themed drinks as the inquiry into Trump’s impeachment continues. But if you don’t want to hit the bar, we’ve also whipped up some of our own concoctions to help you wind down after following more than a week of scandal-ridden news.

ImPEACHment sangria

Summer may have ended, but there is still time to throw together a pitcher of sangria. For a fruity drink on a student budget, stir up an imPEACHment-themed sangria, an easy drink to serve to all of your friends in a residence hall room.

Grab a bottle of bottom-shelf moscato ($7), two white peaches, the cheapest peach brandy ($6.99) at McReynolds and seltzer water. Slice the peaches and throw them in a large pitcher with the brandy. Muddle the peaches with the brandy and add the moscato and seltzer water. With about six servings, you and your roommates will feel peachy-keen during impeachment hearings with a glass in hand.

ImpeachMINT cocktails

Mint drinks are refreshing – and more importantly, lighten up the drama of impeachment inquires.

With fresh mint leaves from Whole Foods, you can make classic cocktails on a dime for your residence hall room watch parties. A classic mint mojito only needs three mint leaves, 2 ounces of white rum, a dash of sugar and lime juice – all of which will cost you about $20. Blend the sugar, mint and lime juice, fill a glass with ice and add the mixture to a bottle of rum. You can also substitute the rum for bourbon and the sugar for some homemade simple syrup to make a mint julep.

If sweetness isn’t your style, grab some vodka, mint, lime, peaches and ginger beer for a Ukrainian mule, our twist on the classic Moscow mule inspired by Ukraine’s involvement in the impeachment inquiry. Puree the peaches and muddle with lime. Add ice and 2 ounces of vodka, and top it off with ginger beer and a lime wheel.

Channeling America’s greats

If the current political climate makes you want to time travel to a different administration, try one of the former presidents’ favorite drinks. The Quadrant, a bar at the Ritz-Carlton at 1150 22nd St. NW, compiled a list of every U.S. presidents’ go-to drink after a long day. Barack Obama personally preferred beer to a mixed drink. But if you want something more creative, try Ronald Reagan’s choice when California’s wine was in short supply: the orange blossom special. The drink is filled with ice, 1 ounce of vodka, 1 ounce of grenadine and orange juice.

The Quadrant, 1150 22nd St. NW. Open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to midnight, Saturday and Sunday from noon to midnight. 

‘I got 99 problems…’

But impeachment ain’t one. That’s the name of one of the impeachment-themed drinks served at Union Pub in Capitol Hill, made up of peach vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice, sprite and lemon ($9). The bar will also serve “ImPEACHment Please” ($9), a spinoff of the bar’s “PEACH Please…” cocktail featuring Jim Beam Peach, simple syrup, Angostura and orange bitters and cherry.

Union Pub, 201 Massachusetts Ave. NE. Open Monday through Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 a.m., Friday from 11:30 to 2 a.m., Saturday from 11 to 3 a.m. and Sunday from 11 to 2 a.m.