Crime log: Person attempts to break into Smith Hall of Art

Attempted Burglary

Academic Center (Smith Hall of Art)
Unknown – Unknown
Open Case

A male faculty member reported to the GW Police Department that a classroom on the fourth floor of the Smith Hall of Art had damage marks on the door consistent with forced entry with a pry bar or crowbar after he secured the door at 10 p.m. the night before. No student- or University-owned property was reported missing. Metropolitan Police Department officers responded to the scene and issued a report.

– Case open.

Attempted Burglary

Academic Center (Smith Hall of Art)
Unknown – Unknown
Open Case

Another attempted burglary was discovered on the same day after a male faculty member reported to GWPD that his office and studio space on the third floor had damage marks on the door consistent with forced entry with a pry bar or crowbar after securing it a week ago. No student- or University-owned property was reported missing. MPD officers responded to the scene and issued a report.

– Case open.

Lewd, Indecent or Obscene Acts

Marvin Center
9/27/2019 – 12:59 p.m.
Open Case

A male staff member reported to GWPD that a man made lewd acts toward a male student in the first floor men’s bathroom. GWPD officers responded to the scene and searched the building but were unable to find the subject.

– Case open.

Fraud, Second Degree

Off Campus
Multiple – Multiple
Closed Case

A male student reported that an online store committed fraud and he lost several pairs of shoes. MPD responded to the student’s room in Guthridge Hall and issued a report.

– Referred to MPD.

Harassment: Email and Electronic Media

Various Locations
Multiple – Multiple
Open Case

A female staff member reported that someone left harassing comments on her photography website.

– Case open.

Robbery Snatch

Whole Foods
9/28/2019 – 11:30 a.m.
Closed Case

A male student reported that a man stole his cash that he left on a table. MPD responded to the scene and issued a report.

– Referred to MPD.

Unlawful Entry

Amsterdam Hall
9/30/2019 – 7:07 p.m.
Closed Case

GWPD responded to the residence hall for a report of a previously barred female subject being inside the building. GWPD updated her bar notice and escorted her off GW property.

– Subject barred.

Threats to do Bodily Harm

Marvin Center
10/1/2019 – 2:02 a.m.
Closed Case

GWPD responded to the first floor of the Marvin Center for a report of a non-GW affiliated man threatening a male student. GWPD issued the man a bar notice. MPD and Fire and Emergency Services officers responded to the scene and transported the subject to the GW Hospital as the subject complained of preexisting mental conditions.

– Subject barred.

Theft II/From building

Ross Hall
10/3/2019 – 8:20 p.m.
Open Case

A staff member reported that someone stole keys the staff member left in a Ross Hall classroom.

– Case open.

Compiled by Kateryna Stepanenkno.