Warren signs onto Students for D.C. Statehood pledge

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass. and an alumna, joined five other presidential candidates in affirming their support for D.C. statehood this week.

Warren signed on to Students for D.C. Statehood’s pledge to support the District’s bid to be the 51st state, which reads “I pledge to support admitting Washington, D.C. into the Union as a state of the United States of America.” She joined presidential candidates Tom Steyer, Marianne Williamson, Pete Buttigieg, Joe Sestak and Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., in signing the pledge.

“Washington, D.C. has over 700,000 residents – more than Wyoming or Vermont,” Warren tweeted Tuesday. “They pay federal taxes. They deserve an equal voice in our government, and I’ll fight until they get statehood.”

Warren launched a petition in February to garner support for the Senate’s D.C. statehood bill, which has 34 co-sponsors, including Warren.

The House of Representatives held its first hearing on D.C. statehood in 25 years late last month, which prompted University President Thomas LeBlanc and other D.C. college presidents to come out in support of statehood.

Matthew Oberstaedt, the leader of GW’s chapter of Students for D.C. Statehood, said public statements of support for statehood from national political figures helps draw attention to the movement, which he said is often overlooked by non-residents of the District.

“It is really helpful when people outside of the city write to their members of Congress and make phone calls because obviously the people here, who are most directly affected by it, can’t do that,” Oberstaedt said.