Weekend Outlook – Take a haunted walking tour at the U.S. Capitol

Dean Whitelaw | Staff Photographer
Explore spooky stories of Capitol Hill at a walking tour around the grounds of the Capitol building Friday.

Midterms are quickly approaching, but spooky season is here. Gear up for Halloween with a ghost tour at the U.S. Capitol Friday, then lighten the mood with a dog show Saturday. Close out your weekend at Busboys and Poets with a comedy show.

Friday

Capitol Hauntings Walking Tour

When the sun sets, Capitol Hill holds more than political debates and Supreme Court hearings. The Capitol Hill Hauntings Walking Tour will take you around the U.S. Capitol, where tour guides will recount stories of haunted happenings in some of its buildings and field questions about the history of the area. Take your mind off the stress of academics for a night and learn about the haunted history of D.C. politics.

U.S. Capitol Grounds, 355 First St. SE, Friday, 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10.

Saturday

The Best In Shaw Dog Show 2019

If you miss your four-legged friend back home, the Best in Shaw Dog Show is the place to be this weekend. Judges will award dogs with cash prizes or pet care services in seven categories, including “Best Puppy,” “Best Rescue Dog” and “Most Impressive Outfit.”  If your dog is in the District, you can bring them to the show and join the competition. A portion of the money raised from the event will be donated to the Humane Rescue Alliance, which provides animals with resources like vaccinations and flea medication.

Shiloh Baptist Church parking lot, Ninth and P streets NW, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets are $7.

Sunday

Busboys and Poets Jokes and Jams!

Take Sunday evening to laugh and listen to comedy at Busboys and Poets near Catholic University. Comedian Jacques Kindle, who has appeared on MTV2, organized the event. Alex Starr will host the show, and Eddie Bryant will perform as the headlining comedian. Other featured comedians include S. Vale, Franqi French, Jacques Kindle and Russ Green. A $100 gift card to Busboys and Poets will also be raffled off during the event.

Busboys and Poets Brookland, 625 Monroe St. NE, 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $20.