Metro monopoly: Sights and sounds of Blue Line Metro stops

The Metro Board of Directors approved a resolution Thursday to reimburse the subpoenaed board members for their attorneys’ fees.

We rode the Blue Line from Foggy Bottom to Federal Triangle to capture some of the sights and sounds along the way. Here are the highlights:

Foggy Bottom – 2301 I St. NW

The Foggy Bottom Metro station is chock-full of people including students, GW Hospital staff, farmers market-goers and employees of vendors like Timber Pizza Company and Quaker Valley Orchards. Notable sights include the FRESHFARM Farmers Market, people selling flowers, hat and purse sellers, street performers like keyboardists and people playing chess.

Farragut West – 900 18th St. NW

People riding the Farragut West Metro stop are notably dressed in business casual attire. Surrounding restaurants include Starbucks, Pret A Manger, Au Bon Pain and the International Square Food Court, which sells fast-food plates like pizza, burritos and burgers. People can be spotted eating quietly outside in business attire, possibly on a lunch or dinner break with colleagues. Leasing offices, government buildings and banks line the street across from the stop.

McPherson Square – 1400 I St. NW

The McPherson Square Metro station features people from all walks of life. Some people appear to be college students, while others are dressed in blazers and button-up shirts. A mural depicting veterans covers the walls of the upper level of the station, which is connected to the Veterans Affairs building. Street vendors sell essential oils and snacks like muffins, chips and cookies.

Metro Center – 607 13th St. NW

Metro Center station appeared to be the largest and most crowded station with giant advertisements plastered inside the station. The shops above the station include Ann Taylor and Macy’s, and vendors outside the station can be found selling Street Sense newspapers and roses. Casual restaurants like Panera Bread and Au Bon Pain surround the station.

Federal Triangle – 302 12th St. NW

Federal Triangle is located near buildings like the Environmental Protection Agency and the old U.S. Post Office building. On the lawn in front of the EPA building, a group of protestors called “Environment America” carried signs that read “Wrong Way On Clean Cars” and chanted, “What do we want? Clean cars! When do we want it? Now!” Other notable sights include a full bike rack designated for federal employees, an international food court across the street and security guards.