Ring in fall with seasonal desserts around the District

Camille Desanto | Photographer
District Doughnut’s pumpkin glazed doughnut will help you transition into the fall months.

It may still feel like summer, but Sept. 21 marked the beginning of autumn. Whether you’re a pumpkin spice fanatic or just have a sweet tooth, ring in the season with these fall flavors from the District’s dessert hubs.

District Doughnut’s sweet potato pie flavor

We picked District Doughnut’s cherry blossom flavor for dish of the week this spring, and the shop’s fall menu has shaped up with equally as delicious flavors.

The speciality doughnut shop – with locations in Southeast D.C., Georgetown, Union Market and The Wharf – is known for its over-the-top seasonal doughnut flavors. This fall, it is offering several sweet and mouth-watering doughnut flavors like maple butter pecan, pumpkin glazed, sweet potato pie, pumpkin spice latte creme brulee and caramel apple streusel.

The sweet potato pie flavor combines pumpkin dough, sweet potato pie filling, marshmallow glaze and candied pecans for a taste reminiscent of Thanksgiving. The pumpkin spice latte creme brulee is a twist on the shop’s year-round creme brulee flavor, with the addition of pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin dough. Each doughnut costs between $2.75 and $3.50.

District Doughnut, 3327 Cady’s Alley NW. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams’ pumpkin cake roll ice cream 

Gourmet ice cream shop Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams whips up seasonal flavors, like dream puff ice cream to honor drag queen Nina West during Pride month in June. This fall, the shop is curating several autumn-inspired concoctions, like brown butter almond brittle, coffee with cream and sugar and cream puff.

The shop’s featured fall flavor is called pumpkin cake roll and combines heirloom pumpkin ice cream with spiced sweet cream cheese and vanilla spice cake for a bursting sensation of sweet and salty. Opt for a scoop of pumpkin cake roll in a waffle cone ($7) for the ultimate sugar rush.

Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, 1925 14th St. NW. Open Sunday through Thursday from noon to 11 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from noon to midnight.

Sprinkles’ pumpkin cupcake

Sprinkles, a vibrant cupcake bakery located in Georgetown known for its “Cupcake ATM,” is keeping it simple this fall with a classic pumpkin cupcake and a pumpkin patch mini sampler.

The pumpkin cupcake unites favorite fall spices like nutmeg, ginger, clove and cinnamon and is smothered with sweet cinnamon cream cheese icing. The mini sampler features three flavors: pumpkin cinnamon, pumpkin cream cheese and pumpkin chocolate. The full-sized pumpkin cupcake costs $4.50, and the pumpkin patch mini sampler costs $5.

Sprinkles Georgetown, 3015 M St. NW. Open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Ice Cream Jubilee’s apple butter oatmeal cookie and maple rye pecan ice creams

Ice Cream Jubilee is a funky ice cream joint featuring flavors like honey lemon lavender and Thai iced tea. You can grab a scoop of ice cream in locations in Navy Yard and Logan Circle.

The shop is bringing the fall spirit this season with its apple butter oatmeal cookie and maple rye pecan flavors. The apple butter oatmeal flavor combines homemade apple butter and crumbled oatmeal cookie pieces. If you’re looking for a bolder taste, try the maple rye pecan, which includes spiked rye whiskey, sweetened maple syrup and roasted pecans. You’ll spend about $5 for a scoop in a cone.

Ice Cream Jubilee, 1407 T St. NW. Open Sunday through Thursday from noon to 10 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from noon to 11 p.m.

Baked and Wired’s ‘The Great Pumpkin’ cupcake

Baked and Wired, a family-owned bakery in Georgetown, is keeping it simple this fall with its “Great Pumpkin” cupcake flavor ($4.10). If the cupcake is as scrumptious as the shop’s other offerings, like the “Dirty Chai” or “Texas Sheetcake,” you won’t be disappointed.

A pumpkin cupcake, or “cakecup” as Baked and Wired calls it, is topped with pumpkin spice cream cheese frosting and garnished with a dash of cinnamon and pumpkin seeds to create “The Great Pumpkin” flavor.

Baked and Wired, 1052 Thomas Jefferson St. NW. Open Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.