Almost 50 students approved to retake freshman-year courses this semester

Officials have approved 45 students to repeat classes this semester in accordance with the University’s freshman forgiveness policy.

Administrators introduced the freshman forgiveness policy two years ago following advocacy efforts from Student Association leaders to allow students to retake courses in which they earned a D+ or lower during their freshman year. University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal said the policy, which is designed to help students who struggle to adjust to college, is used most to retake introductory courses in economics, chemistry and mathematics.

“The First Year Forgiveness policy was designed to provide students with the opportunity to relearn fundamental materials and have a better transition to college,” she said in an email.

Nosal said students who retake a course after receiving a “deficient grade” have their transcripts updated with the notation “RP.” She said that courses appearing on transcripts taken in fall of 2016 have the highest number of RPs, at 110, indicating that 110 students retook courses first taken in that semester.

Nosal added that as of this semester, 94 students have retaken courses that they first took in spring of 2017, about 153 students have retaken a course first taken in academic year 2017-18 and about 55 students have retaken a course first taken in academic year 2018-19. She said four students have so far retaken courses first taken during the spring 2019 semester, but the number will likely climb as more students retake freshman-year classes.

Nosal said officials are not planning to make any changes to the policy.