Weekend Outlook – Explore museums for free on Museum Day

The+Newseum+is+participating+in+Museum+Day%2C+which+allows+visitors+to+walk+through+public+and+private+museums+for+free.+
Jack Fonseca | Contributing Photo Editor
The Newseum is participating in Museum Day, which allows visitors to walk through public and private museums for free.

The District will be teeming this weekend with cinematic, historical and culinary inspiration. Kick off the weekend learning about films from around the world, then fill your Saturday and Sunday with museums and Georgetown bites.

Friday

D.C. Shorts International Film Festival

The D.C. Shorts International Film Festival starts Friday at the E Street Cinema with events beginning at noon. Early in the day, you can take part in free workshops like “Screenwriting: The Next Level” and “Directing: Advanced Directing Techniques” to hone in on your cinematic skills. Throughout the day, you can also head to two 95-minute-long screenings of seven different short films. The first screening begins at 6:30 p.m. and the second starts at 9:00 p.m. Both will feature a question and answer session with the filmmakers.

E Street Cinema, 555 11th St. NW, noon to 9 p.m. Tickets are $15.

Saturday

Museum Day

Organized by Smithsonian Magazine, Museum Day encourages private and public museums across the nation to open their doors to the public for free. In the District, visitors can check out participating museums like the Newseum, Museum of the Bible and the Folger Shakespeare Library free of charge. Museum Day is themed “Year of Music,” so you can expect to see exhibits displaying musical collections across several participating museums.

A list of participating museums is available online. Tickets are free online.

Sunday

Taste of Georgetown

In its 26th year, Taste of Georgetown features the area’s best restaurants along K Street. There is a participant for every taste, including sweets at Georgetown Cupcakes, wine at Eno Wine Bar and Italian bites at Ristorante Piccolo. You can go online to purchase a pre-sale ticket, which is worth one food item, one beer or wine and two waters or two soft drinks. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Georgetown Ministry Center to aid those experiencing homelessness.

K St. NW, between Wisconsin Ave. and Thomas Jefferson St., 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ticket packages range from $24 to $45.