Associate vice president of budget departed GW in July for job at Georgetown

GW’s associate vice president of budget and financial management left the University in July for a post at Georgetown University.

Stella Apekey, who is still listed as GW’s chief budget officer on the University Budget Office website, left after 10 years at the University, according to Apekey’s LinkedIn profile. She now serves as Georgetown’s senior associate vice president for budget, financial planning and treasury management, according to Georgetown University’s directory.

University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal declined to confirm Apekey’s departure, adding that “GW does not discuss the specifics of personnel matters.”

Apekey arrived at the University in August 2009 to serve as the finance director for the Division of Information Technology, according to her LinkedIn profile. Nosal declined to list any of Apekey’s accomplishments from her time at the University.

Officials hired Cynthia Villaverde to serve as the associate vice president for budget and financial analysis, according to GW’s directory. Villaverde formerly served as a finance manager at the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine, according to her LinkedIn profile.

Nosal declined to say when Villaverde was hired, but her LinkedIn profile states she joined the University in August.

Villaverde’s title differs from Apekey’s former role. Nosal said officials update administrators’ responsibilities but declined to say whether Villaverde is taking over Apekey’s role.

“Budget and financial management roles are vital to GW operations,” Nosal said. “As we transform how we use financial resources, we also assess responsibilities and how they can be updated.”