Weekend Outlook – Kick off September at a Kennedy Center festival

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
The REACH, an expansion to the Kennedy Center, includes three new outdoor pavilions and more than 130,000 square feet of landscaping.

Before the academic year gets into full swing, enjoy a picnic in the park in Farragut Square and learn something new at a Kennedy Center festival Saturday. Finish off the weekend with food and fun at the DC State Fair Sunday.

Friday

Pop-up events for Farragut Fridays

If you’re looking for some fresh air after a busy two weeks back to school, visit Farragut Square for Farragut Fridays. The day-long outdoor event features lawn games like giant Jenga and cornhole, along with a picnic in the park. You can also check out pop-up booths like an “outdoor office” from Comcast equipped with WiFi, charging stations and cold brews, as well as booths run by the the Smithsonian Gardens and International Spy Museum.

Farragut Square, 912 17th St. NW, noon to 2 p.m., free.

Saturday

The REACH Festival at the Kennedy Center

The REACH, an expansion to the Kennedy Center, is opening Saturday. The addition to the Kennedy Center includes three new outdoor pavilions and more than 130,000 square feet of landscaping.

To celebrate, the Kennedy Center is hosting The REACH Festival, a 16- day-long event featuring nearly 500 indoor and outdoor activities – like a T-shirt making workshop, stand-up comedy show and film screenings – to celebrate the arts. Activities are organized into a dozen different categories including jazz, dance, comedy, animation and arts and wellness. When you click on an event you’re interested in, don’t forget to sign up and learn more information before you attend.

The Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW, 9:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., free.

Sunday

DC State Fair

Enjoy a tour of “all things homegrown” at the DC State Fair where you can buy from arts and craft vendors, purchase food and drinks, watch a pet parade and learn more about government agencies and local nonprofits. Participating vendors and sponsors include a Sloppy Joe food truck called NeatMeat, Ben’s Chili Bowl and Ethic Goods – a jewelry wholesale company that works to provide “economic empowerment” for women who have escaped human trafficking.

Gateway DC, 2700 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave. SE, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., free.