Weekend Outlook — Take a walking tour of D.C. murals

Head+to+the+Columbia+Heights+Metro+stop+to+start+a+two-hour+tour+of+murals+in+Shaw%2C+U+Street+and+Columbia+Heights.+
Alexander Welling | Assistant Photo Editor
Head to the Columbia Heights Metro stop to start a two-hour tour of murals in Shaw, U Street and Columbia Heights.

Beat the back-to-school blues with events happening all weekend long. Head over to a denim upcycling workshop at the Adams Morgan Community Center Friday, then meet up at the Columbia Heights Metro Station Saturday for a walking tour of murals. Finish the weekend at the National Museum of Women in the Arts for a free community day.

Friday

Do it yourself Denim Bar & Goodwill Pop-Up

Expand your fall wardrobe sustainably at a denim upcycling workshop. Goodwill of Greater Washington and Finding your Good are teaming up for a workshop at the Adams Morgan Community Center, where participants can bring their own denim or purchase from Goodwill to curate a new piece of clothing. Decorating materials are provided, and all proceeds from the event go toward the Goodwill Excel Center, a tuition free adult charter high school. The night also features a no-sew workshop with up-and-coming upcycling fashion designer Evan Ibrahim.

Adams Morgan Community Center, 1770 Euclid St. NW, 5 to 8 p.m., free.

Saturday

D.C. Mural Tour

Stretch your legs after a long week of class with a D.C. Murals Walking Tour. Hosted by DC Murals: Spectacle And Story, this tour will take you through the murals in Shaw, U Street and Columbia Heights neighborhoods for two hours. You can also hear from the muralists themselves during the tour.

Meet at the Columbia Heights station, 3030 14th St. NW, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., tickets are $15.

Sunday

National Museum of Women in the Arts Free Community Day

Visit the National Museum of Women in the Arts Sunday for its free community day. Explore hundreds of pieces of art from famous female artists like Frida Kahlo, Georgia O’Keeffe, Mary Cassatt, Judy Chicago and Bridget Riley. Current exhibitions include the “New York Avenue Sculpture Project,” “More is More: Multiples” and “Power in My Hand: Women Poets, Women Artists & Social Change.”

National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. NW, noon to 5 p.m., free.