Citing safety concerns, officials ban postering in stairwell of Rome and Phillips halls

Phillips+Hall+houses+the+Judaic+Studies+program%2C+which+currently+has+just+three+majors.+
Phillips Hall houses the Judaic Studies program, which currently has just three majors.

Officials are restricting the number of places student groups may poster on campus with a new policy, according to an email sent to student organization leaders Tuesday.

The email from the Office of Enrollment and the Student Experience states that student organizations will no longer be allowed to post “flammable” materials like posters in an emergency exit stairwell of a building, preventing students from postering in the stairwell of Rome and Phillips halls. Students may only poster on “designated bulletin boards” in any building and “outdoor posting pillars,” according to the email.

“We recognize that this change in expectations will require a shift in behavior and is a departure from what has historically been permitted. We thank you for your cooperation,” the email states. “We are working to identify additional posting locations in community spaces in buildings across campus.”

The email advises students to advertise events on campus through the Marvin Center elevators and the Engage events calendar, on the Marvin Center H Street Terrace’s banner space and on various bulletin boards in campus buildings like Gelman Library and District House.

Officials cited damage to “several walls” in “newly renovated” spaces in Corcoran Hall as a result of groups postering directly on the building’s surfaces as an impetus for the reminder.

“It’s imperative that if we are all to maintain positive partnerships with the facilities on campus that we respect all spaces on campus,” the email states.