Out with the old, in with the new: Campus closures and additions from the summer

File photo by Sarah Urtz | Assistant Photo Editor

If you were away from the District this summer, you are coming back to a campus with both vacant lots and new storefronts.

GW brought in some additions like Kin’s Sushi in the District House basement and murals on 23rd Street. But don’t be alarmed to see that campus hubs like Au Bon Pain and the Foggy Bottom Grocery are missing. From bars and restaurants closing to demolished buildings, here are some changes to campus from the summer.

What’s been added:

Kin’s Sushi

This joint, flanked by Wiseguy Pizza and Sol Mexican Grill, replaced Oncolocious Poke in July. You can choose from several appetizers, poke bowls and sushi rolls, ranging in price from $5.49 to $12.99. The alumna-owned restaurant also offers several sushi rolls named after U.S. presidents, like former U.S. presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and Thomas Jefferson. The vendor’s GW roll also earned The Hatchet’s pick for dish of the week.

George Washington mural

Students can now see a mural of former U.S. President George Washington on a wall on 23rd Street. The mural is painted on a section of concrete that leads to an underpass, allowing drivers to view it in passing. The red, yellow and blue mural pictures the first U.S. president’s eyes, giving onlookers the impression that they are being watched.

Rice Hall and 2100 Penn demolition

Workers knocked down Rice Hall and 2100 Pennsylvania Avenue this summer, two years after officials announced plans to work with construction company Boston Properties to redevelop the two buildings.

Several businesses previously housed in the 2100 Penn complex, like Puglisi’s Hair Cuts and the law firm Sughrue Mion, PLLC, will be relocated across the street from 2000 Penn. Other businesses, like the dry cleaning company Esteem Cleaners that was housed in 2100 Penn, have since struggled to find new locations in the area.

Campus renovations

Officials will dole out $10 million in campus renovations beginning in fiscal year 2020 to fund new flooring in Potomac House and Mitchell Hall and improve outdoor lighting on the Mount Vernon Campus. The remaining funds will help pay for upgrades to spaces in the Marvin Center like the third-floor terrace and install new heating and cooling systems in Building GG, where the psychology department is housed.

Duke’s Grocery

The British pub-inspired restaurant opened its third location on campus in late May. Located at 2000 Pennsylvania Avenue, the menu features everything from burgers and sandwiches to a full brunch menu. The restaurant offers indoor and outdoor seating with a view of Pennsylvania Avenue in addition to a full bar.

What’s been cut:

Sign of the Whale

The longstanding bar shuttered its doors in July after nearly half a century of business. The location was a go-to for college students and young professionals who enjoyed the joint’s half-off happy hour deals. The bar also hosted several events like an annual ugly sweater party, Greek life events and National Football League watch parties.

Buffalo Billiards

Buffalo Billiards, another Dupont Circle hotspot, shut down and will be moved out of its space this month. During its 25 years of operation, Buffalo Billiards was known for its happy hour deals and casual atmosphere. The watering hole shared a building with the bar The Front Page, whose owners decided to move buildings and split the bar up into six sections.

FoBoGro

After a decade of business, the GW grocer shut its doors at the start of the month. The store offered several snacks and drinks for shoppers to pick up. Owner Cathy Martens floated the idea of opening up a third-floor cafe last year, but she declined to answer any questions relating to the store’s closure or the status of the cafe after closing shop.

Au Bon Pain

The French-inspired sandwich joint has closed its storefront in the Shops at 2000 Penn this summer. The restaurant offered sandwiches, soups and pastries and gave students a $2 discount if they spent at least $9 on GWorld. The place struggled to garner business after several larger chains were added to the complex in 2014.