Three fire trucks respond to microwave fire in Amsterdam Hall

Amsterdam Hall residents were evacuated Tuesday night after a microwave caught fire on the ninth floor, D.C. Fire and Emergency Services officials said.

At about 8:20 p.m., three fire trucks responded to a report of a fire in Amsterdam Hall, while residents left the building and gathered on the opposite side of H Street. GW Police Department officers directed students to the Milken Institute School of Public Health while FEMS personnel investigated the scene.

Battalion fire chief Eric Bowers said the fire began in a microwave in a residence hall room on the ninth floor. He said the fire left minimal damage to the room and that no resident was injured.

“The whole floor was filled with smoke so there should be some residual smoke smell and in the unit itself, minimal smoke damage,” he said.

FEMS personnel cleared residents to re-occupy the building at about 9:40 p.m.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.