Stay in the loop on campus happenings with these social media accounts

Sarah Urtz | Assistant Photo Editor

The best way to stay in the know on campus is through social media, as long as you’re following the right accounts.

If you’re looking to stay up-to-date with the latest news, announcements and memes, there are a few social media pages to follow before you start the next four years. Pull out your cellphone and follow these social media accounts to ease yourself into campus life:

For humor

Although the name of the memes page frequently changes, its comedic quality never falters. The page, currently called “GW memes for rugged and less fashion-oriented teens,” offers a satirical glimpse into life at GW, from humor specific to students’ majors to insight on the latest Student Association drama. The page’s niche GW humor might be difficult for new students to understand at first, but first-year students will become well-versed in the GW meme landscape as the year progresses. If you see a funny or relatable meme, feel free to tag your friend. But before posting a meme of your own, make sure you receive approval from several friends to make sure it lives up to the page’s expectations.

For random GW news

The “Overheard at GW” facebook page is less about comedy and more about random information you didn’t know you needed. Students post about several topics, ranging from celebrity sightings on campus to odd conversations they overheard from peers. You can also use the page to post about missing GWorld cards and other lost items you may have found around campus. Students check the page frequently, so they’re bound to reach out to you, or vice versa.

Overheard is also a forum for students to discuss pressing University issues. Earlier this year, a student alleged in Overheard that the Office of Student Financial Assistance did not process more than 60 students’ financial aid packages, which they said prevented them from registering for classes on time.

For University news

@GWTweets is the student body’s go-to source for official University information about upcoming events and snow day class cancellations. The Twitter page also showcases student and faculty research and occasionally posts GW-related memes of its own. This page is also responsive to students, so if you ever have an issue or a question, tweet and tag the account, and someone will respond.

For athletic announcements

For spirited students ready to cheer on their favorite sports teams in the student section of the Smith Center, @GWsports is a must-follow account. Complete with game schedules, highlights of student-athletes’ accomplishments and reminders to purchase season tickets and sports team merchandise, the Twitter account is your guide on all things athletic at GW.

For administrators

If you are going to friend one administrator on social media, follow @cissypetty on Twitter. Dean of the Student Experience Cissy Petty frequently posts about inspirational quotes, happenings around campus and students she meets. Like @GWTweets, she is responsive and often replies to students directly on Twitter. From hyping up students to posting inspirational articles, Petty’s Twitter has a little bit of everything.