Dish of the Week: Timber Pizza Company’s ‘Pretty in Pepperoni’ pizza

There’s no better way to take advantage of locally grown produce than farmer’s markets, and you can find one close to home at FRESHFARM market.

Conveniently located next to the Foggy Bottom Metro stop, the FRESHFARM market is open on Wednesdays from 3 to 7 p.m. through Nov. 27. While you can purchase fruits and vegetables to bring home, Timber Pizza Company’s stand will whip up a wood-fired pepperoni pizza using fresh ingredients right before your eyes.

Timber Pizza Company’s white tent serves up personal pizzas every week using a wood fire oven that is hauled in using a truck. You can take your pizza in its individual box and bring it back to your place or you can find a bench along the farmers market and soak up some golden hour rays while you chow down your slices.

If you can’t make it to the Wednesday evening farmer’s market, you can choose from 10 different pizzas at its 809 Upshur St. NW storefront. But Timber Pizza Company keeps its farmers market menu simple with a choice of a “Cheese Please” pizza ($12), “Pretty in Pepperoni” pizza ($14) or the “Green Monster” pizza ($15).

The “Cheese Please” pizza is the vendor’s take on a classic just-cheese pizza with tomato sauce, basil, a melted provolone and mozzarella blend and fresh mozzarella to top it off. The “Green Monster” pizza is based with pesto sauce and covered in fresh mozzarella, feta cheese, zucchini and kale.

But nothing beats the classic pepperoni pizza. The combination of melted mozzarella and spicy pepperoni makes for an ideal midweek meal.

The personal pizza is about 10 inches in diameter, cut into six triangular slices and is ready to eat in 15 minutes. The thin-crusted pizza is easy to finish in one sitting, but the thick dough on the edges achieves a chewy bite.

Provolone and mozzarella cheese are mixed and melted together for an initial cheese layer, but the slices of fresh mozzarella that coat the pizza steal the show with a melty cheese pull. Crispy pepperoni pieces generously cover the pizza after being fired in the oven, giving the slices a savory crunch. For your final flavor, say yes to basil leaves.

To wash down your meal, you can stop by vendors like the Spot of Tea tent for locally sourced boba teas and Vietnamese coffee. For a sweet dessert that finishes off your trip to the market, try Bri’s Brookland Creamery stand for some small-batch ice cream.

With only a few months left of the farmers market, carve out some time on your Wednesday evening for Timber Pizza Company’s “Pretty in Pepperoni” pizza.