Student workers earn paid sick time under updated employment policies

Student employees returning to work this fall can be paid when they’re out sick.

The University implemented a policy earlier this summer that permits those employed by the Student Employment Office to receive one hour of paid sick leave for every 37 hours of work, officials said. Student workers, including those working a federal work study position, can request sick time to care for themselves or a family member through the time-off tracking system Kronos.

“The updated program, reflected in the new Time Off and Leave Guide, is a continuation of the University’s efforts to focus on culture and improving the university experience for all faculty, staff and students,” Jennifer Lopez, the associate vice president for tax, payroll and benefits, said in an email.

Officials announced a slew of changes for employees earlier this year that allow workers to accrue more paid leave days and carry over five unused paid time off days from one fiscal year into the next. The changes took shape in University President Thomas LeBlanc’s push to improve GW’s institutional culture.

LeBlanc also gave staff the week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day last year. Officials issued a survey last year assessing employment culture, finding that workers often feel underappreciated and frustrated by a lack of consistent leadership.

Since the changes were implemented, officials hired GW’s inaugural chief people officer to handle human resources and professional development responsibilities.