Women’s basketball announces nonconference schedule

Women’s basketball released its 13-game nonconference schedule for the 2019-20 season last week.

The Colonials will take on eight teams that advanced to postseason play, including five defending conference champions. GW has the historical edge in 10 of its 13 matchups and will face Minnesota for the first time in program history.

The squad went 3-10 during last season’s nonconference slate. The squad will revisit six teams on last year’s docket, looking to avenge four losses and create two winning streaks.

GW will host Mercyhurst in an exhibition game on Oct. 27. The Lakers compete in the Division II Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference and finished the 2018-19 season 10-18.

The Colonials open the season on the road against Villanova Nov. 6. The team was bested by the Wildcats at home 60–45 in last season’s matchup.

The squad returns home to host Princeton Nov. 10. The Colonials defeated the 2018 Ivy League Conference champions in a decisive 64–49 victory during last season’s matchup at the Smith Center.

The team will then embark on a three-game road trip that begins on Nov. 13 at LeHigh. The two teams have not seen competition since 1978 when GW nudged the Hawks 74–60. LeHigh reached the semifinals of the Patriot League Tournament before being ousted by American last season.

Memphis appears next on the Colonials’ docket. GW dominated the Tigers in their last meeting, holding them to just 38 points. Memphis pushed its way to the quarterfinals of the American Athletic Conference Championship before falling to Cincinnati.

The Colonials wrap up their road campaign on Nov. 20 against Maryland, which made it to the second round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. The squad will attempt to avoid the same routing as last year, when the Terrapins downed the Colonials 69–30.

The team will return to D.C. to face local rival Georgetown on Nov. 24 and Coppin State on Dec. 1, which GW has historically dominated with a 6–0 overall record.

Georgetown reached the 2019 Women’s National Invitational Tournament quarterfinals after finishing the regular season 19-16. Coppin State struggled in last season’s campaign, winning five out of 30 games.

The team hits the road again for back-to-back matchups against Delaware and Quinnipiac on Dec. 4 and on Dec. 7, respectively. More than a decade has passed since the Colonials have competed against the Blue Hens or Bobcats.

GW will head back to the Smith Center to take on Minnesota on Dec. 10 and James Madison on Dec. 20.

The Colonials will meet the Gophers for the first time in program history. The team finished 9–9 in Big Ten play and 21–11 overall with a trip to the second round of the WNIT.

James Madison started GW’s 2018-19 season on a sour note, trouncing the squad 50–37. The Dukes plowed through the Colonial Athletic Association, winning 17 of their 18 conference games before ending the season in the WNIT semifinals.

A crosstown trip to American on Dec. 22 marks the Colonials’ final nonconference away game. The Eagles dominated the Patriot League with a 16-2 record before dropping the conference championship to Bucknell and ending its postseason ride in the first round of the WNIT.

GW will wrap up its nonconference play at home against William and Mary on Dec. 29. The Tribe bounced the Colonials last season, dropping them 73–59 but failing to achieve a winning record in CAA play. GW owns an 8-2 overall record against the Tribe.

While dates and times for Atlantic 10 play have not been released, A-10 schedule pairings were announced earlier this month.

The Colonials will face George Mason, Dayton and Duquesne twice in home and away games. They will take on Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, La Salle and Saint Louis at home and face Davidson, Saint Joseph’s, VCU, Fordham and St. Bonaventure on the road.

Nonconference Games

Oct. 27 vs. Mercyhurst (exhibition game)
Nov. 6 at Villanova
Nov. 10 vs. Princeton
Nov. 13 at LeHigh
Nov. 17 at Memphis
Nov. 20 at Maryland
Nov. 24 vs. Georgetown
Dec. 1 vs. Coppin State
Dec. 4 at Delaware
Dec. 7 at Quinnipiac
Dec. 10 vs. Minnesota
Dec. 20 vs. James Madison

Dec. 22 at American
Dec. 29 vs. William and Mary