FoBoGro shutters doors after decade of business

At the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission meeting last month, the commission agreed to an outline of a settlement with FoBoGro meant to resolve neighborhood concerns.

The Foggy Bottom Grocery closed Thursday after a decade of business.

Cathy Martens, who bought FoBoGro in late 2018, confirmed Friday that the business shut down. Martens declined to answer further questions, including why the store closed, who decided to close the market, whether its closure is connected to suspended liquor licenses last year and whether the store will relocate.

She also declined to say how FoBoGro’s closure affects plans announced last fall to redesign the store’s third floor into a new coffee shop.

Martens purchased the store the same day the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration fined FoBoGro $30,000 and suspended the business’ liquor license for 30 days for selling alcohol to underage customers. FoBoGro also served a five-day liquor license suspension and paid nearly $8,000 in fines for selling to underage customers in 2017.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission worked to end a months-long dispute with the store in March 2018 after residents complained of noise, loitering and underage alcohol distribution at the business.