Mold outbreak in Mitchell Hall displaces summer residents

Summer residents in Mitchell Hall are moving out early after a mold outbreak was found on several floors.

Maintenance workers in Mitchell discovered mold on the fourth and seventh floors of the residence hall last week, University spokeswoman Crystal Nosal confirmed Tuesday. Displaced residents will relocate to Thurston Hall for the remainder of the summer, and officials will provide them with $525 in housing credit as compensation for the inconvenience, she said.

“The University immediately took steps to protect the health and safety of our residents,” Nosal said in an email. “Based upon the visual inspection by GW’s Health & Safety staff and our third-party consultants on Thursday and Friday, the University had no reason to believe that the building conditions presented an immediate danger to occupants.”

Nosal said University employees found the mold while working to replace Mitchell’s ceiling with new tile in its common rooms and hallways, part of GW’s effort to update buildings around campus. She said second, fourth and seventh floor residents were relocated to Thurston to allow workers to remove the mold.

Residents who were relocated because of the outbreak will receive a $525 housing credit that was decided “based on a weekly housing fee.” Residents who chose to stay in Mitchell Hall will receive $325 to remedy the inconvenience, Nosal said.

Skylar Nicholson, a displaced Mitchell Hall resident, told WJLA she and several of her friends had experienced inexplicable health problems throughout the summer.

“The migraines and the achiness and that kind of stuff,” Nicholson told WJLA. “My friends have had congestion and coughs throughout the hallways and we all thought, we didn’t know what it was.”

Mold outbreaks have also been a longstanding concern among Thurston residents. Officials brought in an outside maintenance company in fall 2017 to combat the mold found on its bathroom walls and ceilings, and the residence hall will be reconstructed at the end of the academic year.